Covington High School will begin allowing students to participate in summer conditioning sessions beginning July 13.
All sessions will take place outside, and participants will be social distanced with a minimum of six feet between each participant. In order to participate in these summer conditioning sessions, participants must be enrolled in Covington City Public Schools and be entering grades 7-12.
All participants must have a current VHSL physical form (administered after May 1, 2020), a completed CHS concussion form, and a COVID-19 voluntary participation permission form on file. These forms may be found on the Covington City Public Schools website at www.covington.k12.va.us.
All participants must:
1) Bring his/her own water container (full before arrival) to the conditioning sessions, or he/she will not be permitted to stay and participate.
2) Be dropped off at the teacher parking lot end of the track entrance if not driving his/her own car. All parents/guardians/drivers of the participant must wait until the participant passes a health screening before leaving the premises to ensure the participant is cleared to participate. Everyone must enter through the gate at the end of the track near the teacher parking lot across from Wright Way Motors.
3) All parents/guardians/vehicle drivers must leave the premises or wait in the car as these sessions are closed to the public due to social distancing requirements.
4) Locker rooms and restrooms will be unavailable for use due to the social distancing and cleaning requirements at this time.
5) Any participant who has traveled to a confirmed hot spot will not be allowed to participate until 14 days of quarantine upon his/her return.
6) Any participant who has exhibited any of the signs/symptoms on the monitoring form will not be permitted to participate and will be directed to go home and contact his/her health care provider before returning for medical release.
7) All individuals must use the provided hand sanitizer before and after each conditioning session.
8) No equipment, apparel, shoes, towels, etc. will be shared between individuals at this time.
9) Girls’ conditioning sessions will be on Mondays and Wednesdays from 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. Health screenings will begin at 7:30 a.m., to allow time for an entire hour of conditioning. This is open to all girls who wish to play any girls’ sport. Girls’ conditioning sessions will take place on the following dates: July 13, 15, 20, 22, 27, 29, August 3, 5, 10, 12, 17, 19, 24, 26, 31, and September 2.
10) Boys’ conditioning sessions will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. Health screenings will begin at 7:30 a.m., to allow time for an entire hour of conditioning. This is open to all boys who wish to play any boys’ sport. Boys’ conditioning sessions will take place on the following dates: July 14, 16, 21, 23, 28, 30, August 4, 6, 11, 13, 18, 20, 25, 27, September 1, and 3.
11) Football will also hold conditioning sessions for anyone wishing to play football. These sessions will be on Mondays and Wednesdays from 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m., and from 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. Health screenings will begin at 9:30 a.m., for the morning sessions and at 5:30 p.m., for the evening sessions.
The Virginian Review has been serving Covington, Clifton Forge, Alleghany County and Bath County since 1914.