Olde Town Covington is reopening its banner design contest with a Nov. 20 deadline in order to encourage local artists, students and novices to produce a banner design which will be unique to Covington.
Olde Town Covington received a Commercial District Affiliate Grant from the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD).
The $7,000 grant is for a Wayfinding and Beautification Project involving the placement of banners on the Covington entry corridors leading to the Historic Downtown.
The corridors will include those from Exits 14 and 16 of Interstate 64 and the Rt. 220 entry on N. Alleghany Avenue and E. Riverside St. Banners will also be placed on the Mid City Mall parking lot on Locust Street and compliment the banners located at the Covington City Hall.
Details of the contest are listed above, and the winner of the contest will receive $100.
1. The produced banners will be 30 inches in width and 94 inches in height. Therefore, the entry design should be created on paper which has roughly a 1 to 3 ratio of width and height (3 inches by 9 inches, 4½ inches by 13 ½ inches, etc.).
2. The Olde Town Covington logo has an outline of the historic lampposts located on Main Street. That lamppost image must be incorporated into the banner design.
3. Wording on the banner must include, “Visit Our Historic Downtown.” Other wording is not required but the designer may include it on their entry.
4. Entries will be judged by a design committee of local artists and Olde Town Covington representatives. The contest winner will receive a $100 prize.
5. The winning design becomes the property of Olde Town Covington and may be enhanced or adjusted. This includes a change of colors, size of lettering and necessary resizing of images. The banner manufacturer will make any necessary adjustments in the production of the banners with final approval by the design committee.
6. Entries must be received by Friday, November 20, at the office of Olde Town Covington, located in the Atlantic Union Bank Building at 450 W. Main St., Suite 100, Covington. The office is open on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 12:00 noon until 4:00 p.m.
7. Questions should be directed to Paul Linkenhoker, 969-6908.