WestRock and the Alleghany Highlands Arts and Crafts Center have announced that the WestRock Card Design Competition for 2020 is underway.
The winning design will receive an award of $500. The design will be used as the 2020 Christmas card for WestRock’s operations in the Alleghany Highlands.
The competition is open to all residents of the Alleghany Highlands and surrounding area, including students in the area schools.
Interested participants may submit more than one entry. Entry forms are available at the Alleghany Highlands Arts and Crafts Center at 439 East Ridgeway Street, Clifton Forge, and through the WestRock Public Affairs office at the WestRock Covington mill.
Entries may be prepared using watercolor, oil, acrylic, colored pencil, pen and ink, photography or computer design.
1. Work must be the artist’s original design;
2. Artist’s name cannot be on the design;
3. Black and white, color design, or prints are acceptable;
4. Work may incorporate embossing or cut work;
5. Range of card size will be from 4 ½ x 6 inches to 6 x 8 inches. All artwork must proportionally reduce to those sizes;
6. Design must be finished and ready for the printer. Sketched ideas will not be accepted as entries;
7. Work must be painted, or print mounted on a sturdy surface so it will not be damaged in handling;
8. All entrants are encouraged to include WestRock or the WestRock logo in their artwork;
9. The WestRock name cannot be divided into two words or otherwise altered;
10. Winning design will become the property of WestRock;
11. The artwork cannot be advertised on social media, text, or email prior to or during the contest.
Deadline for submitting entries is noon, Friday, Oct. 9, 2020.
All entries will be available for return after Jan. 4, 2021.
A copy of the entry form should be attached to the back of each entry. Winning entries from the last 27 years, as well as a number of earlier mill managers’ cards, may be seen at the arts and crafts center in Clifton Forge. The center is open from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday – Saturday, and Sundays 1 to 4 p.m.
For additional information, contact the Alleghany Highlands Arts and Crafts Center at 862-4447 or WestRock Public Affairs at 969-5569.
The Virginian Review has been serving Covington, Clifton Forge, Alleghany County and Bath County since 1914.